Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homework

I fielded an amusing call earlier today from the new district account manager of a supplier I've used for 14 years. For some reason, there is a high turnover, 3 in the last 2 years.

There is probably some sort of sales commission structure in place on top of a base salary I'm guessing. This fellow sounds and talks like he is really young and has a good amount of ego.

I would say I'm an above average user for the product he represents and as far as I'm concerned, I feel he ought to know that before calling to try and drum up some business.

The best he could do was "Would you like to do more business?". Unfortunately for him, my answer was that business was at a good enough pace for me for the hours I work.

When he finally pulled up my numbers and realized the account did not involve multiple users, he agreed I was doing good...

A bit of homework would have garnered greater respect from me. It's a good thing he has inherited an established account. He will need to improve his business skills to build future successful accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment