Friday, October 6, 2017

Good News and other stuff

  • D's foot is going to be OK.  I told him if he keeps this up, I'll be trading him in for a newer, shinier model...
  • Having just written that, I have to admit, it was an eye opener realizing just how much D does on a daily basis, despite his long work hours.  It didn't take long before I started to feel like a house elf... I'm quite spoiled.
  • Submitted a travel cancellation insurance claim.  We'll see if I receive anything back for my non refundable hotel stay.  Technically, D was not hospitalized.
  • Had to re-jig my flights out west for Christmas to use the travel credit from the cancel trip.  Shortened my stay to squeeze in a quick 5 day trip before the deadline.
  • 2018 will be a far more adventurous year.  Feel rested enough.  Ready to get going again.
  • Except 2018 will not involve surfing like I originally intended.  Made a ridiculous flight booking error (don't ask, never happened before).  So I will hang out in Lima instead.
  • My car wouldn't start with a boost.  Battery too dead.  So they boosted it enough for D to get her into neutral and she was winched out onto a flatbed truck.  Pretty neat to see.  First time tow for me.  
  • Battery has since been replaced.  Turns out it was the original 2007 battery, so it was time.  
  • Also found out my car audio head unit has died as well.  It can be fixed but the software is old and I don't love how it works.  An aftermarket one is the way we'll go.  
  • Had an opportunity to apply for a part time regulatory role at work.  Seemed like everyone else thought it would be a great idea for me, except for me.  Made some sense on some level but wasn't willing to do any more on my off days, even if it wasn't necessarily difficult.
  • Excellent expedition documentary:  Locked In, First Descent of the Beriman Gorge 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Well, I hope D's foot isn't irreparable and he'll be mountain biking again soon, although more gently. Is that possible? :P

    Good luck with the travel claim! It costs nothing to ask and you never know with these things.

    I'm taking my old wee car in for her annual MOT & service on Thursday and am hoping for the best (meaning one more year on the road) without too much expense. It's a new garage (for me), but only a couple of minutes walk from work - which is why I chose it - and they said they have a courtesy car if necessary. I'm now seriously considering a new(er) car sooner rather than later, but have to look into it more thoroughly. I have a couple of concerns, but want to see what they say once they've had a look at it. Hope you manage to get yours back on the road soon and not too expensively!

    Hope you're well otherwise! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say it was possible for D to tone it down...He said he wasn't doing anything extreme and the injury happened because he tried too hard to avoid a worse hit. His ortho Dr expects a full recovery with likely a couple more months of aches, but no real harm, while walking.

      It ended up being 13 pages worth of stuff to send in for the travel claim. A pain, but they needed proof I charged at least 75% of the trip on my credit card and that I cancelled everything. So I sent it all. Should know in about 2 weeks or so. It's all been paid for, so getting something back will be a bonus.

      Car was fixed and picked up last week. While she was there, I asked them to do the annual oil change and another maintenance item. If it was Nov, I would have them put my snow tires on too, to save me another trip.

      The tow was covered through our extended auto insurance. The least expensive aftermarket stereo system will cost about 1K. Haven't moved on that yet. Likely won't happen until the spring as we have lots going on.

      I hope your car inspection clears easily and inexpensively next week!

      Not sure if you are celebrating it still...Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete